Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Visitors and Home Improvements

How to start a blog...well, that I don't have the answer to...so I will just start by talking about my weekend.

My parents came to visit from MI for the weekend, and we had a great time. However, we all spent a large amount of time at The Home Depot and doing misc things around our house. My wonderful husband and dad spent a day putting a light up outside our back door and then removing a CEMENT sink that was about 4 feet wide from my laundry room. They stated that it is probably best handled by 6 grown men...but the two "super"-men managed it on their own. My hero's! Then they moved my washing machine about 5 feet to the left so that it now sits next to my dryer. I am so excited that I don't have to carry wet laundry 5 feet from the washer to the dryer. Then they spent the next day working on a leaky toilet and did a fabulous job!

After that, I decided I wanted to complete a project so after asking my heros to help me with some drilling/screwing, my mom and I put together an upholstered headboard and then mounted it on the wall. The supplies used were:
  • 3' x 5' piece of 1/2" plywood
  • 2 yards of batting
  • 2 yards of upholstry fabric (from Walmart-for a great sale price)
  • HangMan picture hanger
  • drill/screwdriver
  • staple gun
  • hammer
We laid the fabric top down on the floor (I laid a blanket down first just to keep it from getting dirty), then the batting and then the piece of plywood. Starting with one staple near the middle of each side (including top and bottom) and working to the corners, pulling the batting as tightly as possible, staple the batting to the plywood. Then do the same thing with the fabric. NOTE: one thing I forgot to do, you probably want to iron the fabric before starting the process...it's much easier to do it before rather than afte! Trim off the extra batting and fabric. Finally we just followed the instructions for the Hangman to attach one piece to the wall and one piece to the back of the headboard and then hang it on the wall.

Here is our boring bed before the new headboard:


And here is the fabulous after shot with the new addition:


I am still hoping to make more additions to the bed and the surrounding area (bed skirt, bedside tables, etc) and will share more when there is something more to share. Let me know what you think...














1 comment:

  1. Yeah! you finished your headboard project how exciting. I can't wait to see what other projects you do!

    ReplyDelete